Tuesday, November 27, 2012

little mouse ears

( or moose antlers?)

As soon as I can I have clients trying to do sit ups without their feet anchored..

Really if you can't do a sit up then why are trying to do any kind of direct abdominal work.
When you can do a sit up, then you can think about moving onto other 'core' work.
I don't know of a single client I've ever had that didn't lace their fingers behind their neck and use the 'jerk' method to develop momentum to enable their sit ups.
* if you are jerking yourself up, then you are not properly utilizing your core/abs. you're wasting time and encouraging injury
* sit ups should be slow and controlled (especial the down faze)[eccentric contraction is such a big word]
* as soon as you can, you should be doing sit ups without anchoring the feet
* I like to 'grip' the floor with my heals.
* using the mouse ears takes the pressure (even if unintentional) off the neck.
* the mouse ears add resistance ( as apposed to hands across the chest)
* hands across the chest encourages the 'jerk' reflex
* anchoring the feet uses more hip flexors than abs (so don't anchor the feet)

so whether you call them mouse ears or moose antlers (depending upon your clients I guess ) its just a better way. stick the thumbs in the ears and blow raspberries at your coach as you sit up.

No comments:

Post a Comment