Monday, November 29, 2010

eat like a bear


There's a lot of diet advice circulating around in common jargon and one of the most cleche sound bites is "eat like a gorilla". Obviously because a gorilla is big and strong.
What does a 600lbs gorilla do? anything it wants to.
I've never ascribed to the eat like a gorilla spin.
For starters I'm not a gorilla.
Beyond that, gorillas have an almost exclusive vegetarian diet and all the gastric hardship that entails. they are essentially herbavours. If you want a hugely disended gut and excrutiationg gas then by all means, eat like a gorilla.
I generally tell people to , "eat like a bear".
I know I said I'm not a gorilla; and I realize I'm not a bear; science likes to argue that we are "almost " gorillas but Native American legend says that I'm, well, a bears nephew.
Regardless, bears and humans are both carnivours (omnivours really).
Protien is an essential componet of our diet, and neither bears nor humans can easily get adequate amounts of protien from grass and leaves. ( The gorilla diet)
We need meat, I'm not advocating eating ants, termites, grubs and worms (all great sources of protien) but hunting for deer would greatly improve your lean protien intake.
Bears are famous for fishing for salmon. Essential fatty acids and.... protien.
Bears also spend time foraging for berries and stealing honey. minimal carbs with ample antioxidants and phytochemicals.
Next time your making food choices, instead of thinking to yourself what would a gorilla eat? maybe you should thing what would a bear eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment