Monday, April 30, 2012

i'm a rule breaker

A look at what I did and how I break the rules:
i love picking up heavy stuff. that's well known, but this current cycle revolves around me getting ready to go for a 6k run through muck, mud, trees, wet grass and hills ( I've also been promised some walls and ropes to climb and nets to crawl under).


today's a lower body day so it went something like this.

rope pushdowns
yes, i know i said this was a lower body day buts here's the crux, I'm abusing the crap out of this exercise at the moment. I'll do it as many days in a row as i can keep adding reps or weight to it. then when i plateau I'll give it a rest. often I'll do them while i get everything else set up.


leg curls

just did 1 warm up set then jumped right into the heavy stuff ( i know where my limits are by now so sometimes i have extended warm ups and some time they are brief). I do these lying on the floor with a dumbbell currently ( i will post more on leg curls later)


squats; taking it easy at the moment working with these. the emphasis here is trying to get rock bottom, which for me, barefoot is just below parallel. I thought i was going wayyy down but nope, only about 2" below parallel. after watching myself on video, Olympic squaters impress the hell out of me. mentally my ass is on the my heals but the evidence says otherwise. today i kept my time down to no more than 15 minutes on these. so lighter weight, higher reps.

walk outs. okay, i can't help myself. k like picking up heavy shit, heavy being a relative term. some guys would laugh at these weights (westside) I like these for the challenge, but also for the core and structural work

now here's where it gets funny (ozzy pops into my head singing 'breaking all the rules")

i went for a 20 min jog. this is about achieving what i need for the fitness of running through muck. getting my respiratory system in shape. It also adds volume to the leg work. because of the previous leg work, I'm already warmed up at the get go instead of the normal 4:30 it usually takes when i run.

when i got back to the gym i finished off with some step ups. just couldn't help myself. i wanted to really finish the legs off and i did. i like to step up high as opposed to low (like a pump class or something)

so:
pushdowns 4 heavy sets and a back of set of 12 reps
leg curls 3 heavy working sets
squats 3 sets 20,15,12.
walk outs 2 heavy sets
jog 20 min.
step ups 3 sets

the entire session lasted just over an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment